Packed with breakfast sausage and chucks of
cheddar cheese, these biscuits (a.k.a. scones) area a perfect accompaniment to
eggs, grits, or a cup of fresh fruit salad. Or simply grab one on your way out
the door; 10 to 15 seconds in the microwave will heat it up nicely.
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pizza dough flavor
- ½ cup butter, cut in pats
- 1 cup yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream
(low-fat is fine)
- 2 cups cooked, sliced breakfast sausage
links (½" pieces)
- 1 cup diced cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the
flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pizza dough flavor. Add the butter,
cut in pats.
- Work in the butter till the mixture is
- Add the sausage and cheese, mixing to
distribute. Add the yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream.
- Mix just till everything is evenly
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment
or a lightly floured work surface. Pat and roll it into an 8" x 10" rectangle
about ¾" thick.
- Cut the dough into twenty 2"
- If you've been working on parchment, simply
lift the parchment onto a baking sheet. Separate the biscuits so there's about
1" between them. If the biscuits aren't on parchment, pace them on a lightly
greased baking sheet, leaving about 1" between them.
- Bake the biscuits for 20 to 25 minutes, or
until they're a medium-to-deep golden brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven, and cool
them on a rack briefly.
- Serve warm.
Yield: 20 biscuits