Placek (Polish Coffe
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup margarine or butter
- ¼ cup warm water (105-115°)
- 1 pkg. yeast
- 1 egg
- 4 - 4½ cups flour
- Scald milk in saucepan on stove, then stir
in sugar, salt, margarine. Set aside and cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Mix milk mixture with yeast in large bowl.
- Stir in egg and half the flour.
- Beat until smooth and add remaining flour to
make a stiff batter.
- Grease 9 x 13 dish and press dough into pan.
- ½ cup margarine (softened)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix flour, sugar, margarine, and cinnamon
- Sprinkle over the top of the
- Cover loosely with foil and place in
refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and allow to rise 1
- 1½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 375° then bake for 30
minutes or until done.
recipe was handed down from my Polish grandmother to my mother and then to my
wife. This is a family favorite. I'm not sure how this started, but we
especially like to cut out a square of placek, slice it through the center,
then butter it and add in a piece of Honeybaked ham. Heavenly! I have pesonally
known five generations of Nowak family members that have enjoyed this recipe.
Now it's your turn.