Cheesy Hash Brown
- 1 (32-oz.) pkg. Frozen hash-brown potatoes
- ½ cup chopped onions (optional)
- 1 (8oz.) carton sour cream
- 2 cans cream of mushroom or chicken soup
- 6 tbsps. butter or margarine, melted (or 4
tbsps. if omitting onions)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put potatoes in large bowl to thaw for 30
mins. or substitute 4 cups of shredded potatoes.
- Saute onions in 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add undiluted soup, sour cream and remaining
- Continue to heat until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and mix with potatoes, 1
½ cups of the grated cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into buttered casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese on
- Bake at 350° approximately 1 hour until
bubbly and brown at center.
(Note: You can add browned sausage
(drained) before baking for a good brunch dish, which can be fixed ahead and
popped into the oven for an hour before serving time. You can also use Italian
sausage or hamburger and substitute mozzarella for the cheddar cheese. 2 cups
of chopped chicken can be added for a great luncheon casserole.)